Friday, December 13, 2013

Think Greek by Joiya Reid



--

When you think Greek, what is the first thing that comes to mind? For me, I immediately think of olive trees and the breaking plates at weddings. In my mind, everything Greek is made with olive oil and colorful vegetables. I was sorely mistaken. Turns out that not everything from Greece is all olives, tomatoes, and spinach. Greek styled stew chicken is the complete opposite.

The main ingredients of Greek styled stew chicken is chicken, obviously; salt; pepper; cinammon; tomato sauce; garlic; and oragano. While chicken could be easily found in Greece or in the other countries that Greece trades with, tomatoes, pepper, and cinammon all come from the new world. The Columbian Exchange allowed Greece to implement other foods into their traditional dishes and make new, tastier, and appealing cuisines.

The Greek styled stew chicken completely delighted my taste buds. The chicken had a sweet and salty taste, it was tender with crisp skin, and fell off of the bone. The aroma of the stew chicken made my mouth water. With one bite of the juicy white meat, I felt as if I was sailing on the Aegan Sea with Greece in my sight. I recommend this dish to any and everyone who wants a little bit of Greece in their backyard.  


No comments:

Post a Comment