Friday, December 13, 2013

Cheesy Cheesecake

I went to the Cheesecake Factory with my mom, sisters, and brother-in-law for my niece's birthday and had the best cheesecake that I had ever eaten. It was also the first cheesecake that I had ever eaten. I thought that it was going to be nasty because I don't like cheese, but my sister dared me so I had to eat it.


Ingredients for Cheesecake

1-1/2 cups  HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs

3 Tbsp.  sugar

1/3 cup  butter or margarine, melted

4 pkg.  (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

1 cup  sugar

1 tsp.  vanilla

4  eggs

There are a couple of ingredients that are in cheesecake that come from the Columbian Exchange. Cheesecake contains sugar, which comes from sugar cane, which comes from South and Southeast Asia.  That means that sugarcane came from the Old World to the New World. Cheesecake also has butter and cream cheese, and both come from cows. Cows went from the Old World to the New World from through the Columbian Exchange. Eggs are used in cheesecake. These eggs are chicken eggs, which means they come from chickens. Chickens come from Asia, Africa, and Europe, which is the Old World, meaning that chickens were traded Old World to New World. Last but not least, vanilla is also in cheesecake. Vanilla comes originated in Mexico with the Totonaco Indians. Since vanilla came from originated in Mexico, it means that vanilla went from the New World to the Old. Vanilla is the only thing that comes from the New World in cheesecake.


So, I ate something that was made with things that have been traded through the Columbian Exchange. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment