Friday, December 13, 2013

Columbian Exchange of Pie

So I was in my room the other day, doing homework (not), and I heard a loud noise coming from the kitchen.  I went downstairs to investigate, but when I turned the corner I saw something terrible. My younger brother was standing in the middle of the room with two pies, one balanced precariously in his right hand, the other face down on the floor. I was speechless. Luckily, the one on the floor was blueberry, and blueberries are garbage. The pie still intact was an apple pie, and since I was hungry and feared for its life I took it from his hands and set it on the table, ignoring the mess. I asked my brother why he had two pies as I took out a knife to cut it. He didn't answer and instead went outside. Not that I cared.

As I cut the delicious looking pie it occurred to me that apples weren't native to the Americas. They were a part of the Columbian Exchange, and were brought by Europeans. I guess they caught on here because now people grow them in Georgia. I took a bite of my slice and realized that the dough must have contained flour, which is made from wheat, which was also a part of the Columbian Exchange, and also came from the Old World to the New. Grains such as wheat are grown almost everywhere now, and they're used in so many different things, because they're a staple. I glanced at the pie smashed on the floor and put my hand to my head, annoyed. Blueberries were also part of the Columbian exchange, but they traveled from the New World to the Old World. Unfortunately, they became popular and people made terrors such a blueberry pie from them. I got up and walked around the mess on my way out. He could clean it up when he got back.

-Katie Makowski

No comments:

Post a Comment