Friday, December 13, 2013

Mexican food: an American favorite that isn’t really American

Mexican food: an American favorite that isn't really American by Ellenina Iacobucci

Most people go for the typical taco, but not me, you know hard shell with ground beef and the whole 9 yards.  Not me. I went to El Azteca and was feeling adventurous. As my waiter approached me, I panicked feeling under pressure in the Mexican inspired environment. Large statues of women dressed as Aztec's stood in each corner and I felt inspired. I then ordered Fajitas Parilladas for two. Knowing my boyfriend would eat none of it (he's too classy for anything under 5 stars) I was excited to down the juicy steak and rich green peppers mixed with the perfectly tender onions. When the food arrived, steaming hot I rubbed my hands together ready to down everything in front of me. I grabbed my tortilla and spread sour cream and queso in thick layers and then placed each piece of steak or onion strategically. I held it in front of me in excitement and took the largest bite ever. When I was done chewing I yelled DELICIOUSO! It was the best Mexican food I ever had in my life. The steak was just as juicy as I pictured and the onions were even more tender than I imagined.

          Behind me I heard a young girl whose father had ordered the same meal. She exclaimed "Daddy, Where do onions, beef and peppers come from!?" As her dad began to say, "I don't know, let me eat." I turned to her and said "Well little girl, back when the Old World began colonizing the Americas they exchanged many foods. Onions, peppers and Beef were some of these foods. While onions and beef came from the Old World Peppers came from the New World."

No comments:

Post a Comment