Friday, December 13, 2013

Fruit Salad- Yummy Yummy

             This weekend I enjoyed my sister's famous fruit salad at our annual family picnic. As I was eating the mysterious collection of citrus, I wondered where all of the fruit had come from. After my research, I learned that these are all tropical fruits, and must be grown in relatively warm, humid environments. This makes sense because these foods were all used in the Columbian exchange; the exchange of culture between Europeans and the natives of the new world.

                The fruit salad had strawberries, pineapple, and grapes which all came from the new world during the Columbian exchange. These ingredients all came from the Caribbean and tropical regions of the Americas. The Europeans learned to grow them from the natives and the knowledge was taken back to Europe.

                The delectable salad also had watermelon, bananas, and kiwis. These were all grown in southern Africa and were brought to the Americas by settlers and merchants, where they became a very important part of the native's diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment